Sunday 7 April 2013

The Announcer....

It was 1995 March and there was a Sports Meet in our town where the entire town was expected to gather for a rare event rarely organized. There were planned cultural events, daredevilry on bikes, Malkhamb, Horse jumping shows, and tent pegging. Mallakhamb or Malkhamb is a traditional Indian sport in which a gymnast performs feats and poses in concert with a vertical wooden pole or a rope. 
I was roped in as the seventh announcer besides six professional announcers for the event. That was my first exposure in a big event. Earlier, I used to compere events for children shows of my neighbourhood. On that day, my only job was to describe the various poses of Malkhamb, that's all. The other announcers had the meaty role and I was supposed to be a novice and hence, I had the minimum possible role to announce. But interestingly, the Chief Guest's wife liked only my announcements out of the whole show. Soon, I was invited to announce a Ramp Walk conducted in the town for the first time. My role was to announce about the various participants when they were sashaying on the ramp. The shows was a huge hit. My career started as an announcer and a compere since then without looking back and almost non-stop. I must have compered more than hundred important events since then. Unfortunately, I have deleted most of my video clips from Youtube and also deleted my previous account which was seen by more than 5000 people. Well, that's life....you can still watch few of my videos on youtube Pradeep Pendyala site...
http://youtu.be/X5vk9IhZ63M

No comments:

Post a Comment