Thursday 4 April 2013

My Gurudwara Days.....

I used to be a typical backbencher in AVN College, Vizag. My subjects were BiPC which included Physics,Chemistry and Biology. Yes, I was still hoping to be a Doctor some day. I had taken Hindi as my second language. Physics classes used to be a nightmare which I used to spend mostly by sculpting the face of the lecturer on the wooden desk of my seat. Chemistry was equally dull. Biology was so so. My best moments were in Hindi classroom where I used to excel and could tell the whole class the meaning of rare couplets to the chagrin of the lecturer. Soon I was requested by many of classmates to give them tuition in Hindi. I agreed and I had enough pocket money through this activity. I never used to fail buying surprise gifts to my parents from this extra income. The remaining cash used to be enough for my regular movies at Jagadamba 70mm and Leela Mahal. I never failed to entertain my class during the recess hour by singing the latest Hindi songs and quintessential whistle tune of For a few dollars more and Good, bad and ugly. My best fan in the class was Gurmeet Singh, the genius and always a topper of the college. He tried to teach me Physics and Chemistry but in vain. He made me go to the local district municipal library along with him regularly where we discussed Science, movies and Physics. I was not sure of passing my Intermediate ( plus two ) and getting a seat in MBBS. Gurmeet was cocksure of getting a seat in IIT. He helped me during the exams by permitting me to stay at his place for two months so that he could teach me the basics of Physics and Chemistry.His father was the Priest at the local Gurudwara. They were given a residence at the basement of Gurudwara, located next to the Police HQ of Vishakhapatnam. Since I stayed with him for more than two months in the premises of Gurudwara, I learnt many things about their culture, kirtans, and also learnt to recite Jap Jee Saheb. I was still not sure of my passing and was not keen to be a burden to my father, who was an Accountant at FCI and with my four more siblings at home. I used to request for a part time job at Port Trust of Vizag through the influence and contacts of Gurmeet's father although he dissuaded me to do so. Gurmeet had three beautiful sisters and I was infatuated with them. Gurmeet's mother never failed extolling my virtues and praised me enthusiastically by telling many Punjabees that I was better than many Sardars. I still remember, once I asked Gurmeet's father whether I can convert into a Sardar, He just gave me an appreciative smile but did nothing. My days at the Gurudwara came to nought with our final examinations. Gurmeet surely joined BITS Pilani and I could muster a seat in Andhra Medical College. But, the saddest thing that happened was shifting of the Gurudwara to Seethammadara at the outskirts of Vizag and Gurmeet left permanently to Pilani. And I could never meet the beautiful sisters of Gurmeet again.

1 comment:

  1. Always this photo is somewhat mischievous because in this picture your eyes are smiling dress is odd.You also must wear the same dress...As I already mention as in facebook I suppose you learn Physics & chemistry less and enjoying the beautiness of Gurudwara(ofcourse girls) more..Hahaha..But really you learnt a lot from Life...Jindagi bahut kuch sikhaya aapko!!!!!

    ReplyDelete