Friday 21 February 2014

The unforgettable Principal...of AVN College, Vishakhapatnam.

Brinjal is also known as aubergine and eggplant...
well, we call it Vankaya in Telugu...
and of course in Hindi, we call it Baigan...
But if you talk about Vankaya to any Mrs. A.V.N. College student..
he would tell altogether different meaning of this word..
if you are a student of A.V.N. college, of Vishakhapatnam...
you'd understand me better...
we used to call our principal of Mrs avn college..those days as Vankaya... Vankaya was his nickname...due to his small chutaiyya...miniature pony tail kept by Brahmins on religious grounds ..considered holy...resembling a brinjal..( with his face included )
he was a great disciplinarian and a scholar...
nobody could even imagine to talk to him or have an access to him..
He could be seen from a distance because of his tall personality and stocky built...
He was a scholar in Telugu...
He used to come often on AIR Vishakhaptnam Radio for some talk on philosophy or culture...
My favorite program used to be his talk during " Sookti-muktavali " aired everyday at 7 a.m. where he used quote some Sanskrit shloka/quotation and its meaning thereof...
My first meeting with him was a strange coincidence...
Our Hindi teacher went and complained to our Principal that we have a student in our intermediate class who tells a different meaning of every doha I explain to our students...and that he loves to tell three different possible meanings for each doha...( Kavi ka bhaavarth ye hai ...)...
she was very satisfied when I was called to the Principal's office immediately...in her presence..
rather than reprimanding me, the principal asked me to pick up any book from his shelf...as my gift/ prize ...my Hindi teacher was shell-shocked with his behaviour...
he continued to be my best friend in the college as long I was a student there...
the last time, I met him, was for taking a conduct certificate from him, before I joined my MBBS course at Andhra Medcl Collge..
many years later, when I was working as a Doctor somewhere, I went to his house to meet him...
I was told...he died 5 years ago...
I can never forget him....my Vankaya garu...

2 comments:

  1. Excellent and Alas!!!kaash wo aap Milne tak jinda hote!!!but those days are golden days !!!Excellent dear PP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much dear Palla Vaidehi...he was definitely special...

    ReplyDelete