Thursday 17 January 2019

Gurkha Soldier...



I am a trained Gurkha Soldier, who was hand picked for Black Rock expedition along with nine other soldiers including two Sherpa who had earlier successfully climbed Kangchenjunga. I was incidentally the only medical officer in that expedition with no other medical personnel. It lasted for seven days of patrol through virgin land...I was a Captain of Army Medical Corps those days in 1984 and with no previous experience of mountaineering as I belonged to Andhra Pradesh where you don't find mountains. We walked through ice capped mountains ranging between 18000 to 21000 feet height with our rucksack filled with Shakkar Para and tinned minced meat. Those days, we never had google navigation app, our only navigation tool was our compass which told us which way is north. There was minimal chance of safe return but we did it successfully and I was recommended for VSM but definitely received Army Commander's appreciation Card for my gallantry. Col Pradeep Pendyala, Anaesthesiologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment