Tuesday 8 January 2019

Army life and languages...

Being in army for 33 long years, I could learn around nine languages...well, actually, I was posted at almost all the states of India during my service, I just had to learn the language of that state in 2-3 years of my posting at that place. Learning a new language is very exciting hobby...try it. During my first posting in Sikkim, Lachung, my sahayak was a Gurkha soldier, he was my buddy as well as my teacher of Gurkhali. My biggest inspiration was our ex Prime Minister Sri PV Narasimha Rao whom I met accidentally in a rally at Vishakhapatnam in 1971, where he was translating a live Hindi speech of Mrs Indira Gandhi into Telugu. I could never forget his amazing talent of translating a live speech within seconds. I believe, he could speak 16 languages fluently. Frankly, I myself could learn many languages by listening to All India Radio news bulletins in various languages and watching TV serials and popular movies in many languages and of course, by being posted at almost every corner of India, thanks to army life... Col Pendyala Pradeep, Anaesthesiologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment