Sunday 21 October 2018

Jack of all trades...

Since my childhood I was told about the derogatory saying Jack of all trades, master of none.... It implies that by trying to learn too many things, you end up learning none. But I was wrong...rather, all the people who told me about that saying were wrong...definitely wrong. In the year 1994, I met Col Anju Manchanda as my Commanding Officer at 150 General Hospital in Jammu & Kashmir. She was the one who changed the entire meaning of that saying and also my subsequent life thereafter. She told me in clear terms that we can be Jack of all trades and master of some. That was the turning point in my life. Although, I was nearing 40 then and people believe strongly that you can't change your personality after 40, but I could in my case. Some people don't embrace new things, because they fear change. But I could change myself completely after that. I started playing Volleyball regularly with army personnel and later started playing regularly tennis at the army clubs and also learning simultaneously swimming and diving. I started participating in all cultural activities and started compering events which I never did earlier. Spent many hours listening to All India Radio and never missed listening to the news in all sixteen languages on All India Radio. That really helped me in compering my shows in different languages which proved to be instantaneous hit. Meanwhile, I could win Agra open singing competition in 1996 which was a stepping stone towards my future singing career. Col Pendyala Pradeep, Anaesthesiologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment