Thursday 29 March 2018

The magic of Curd ( Yogurt )

I love eating Curd (Yogurt) daily, I can't imagine a meal without curd. As I child, I lived in Bengal and I loved eating Mishti Doi, Mishti doi is the speciality of Bengal prepared with thick, creamy milk and caramelised sugar. Yogurt is an essential part of a healthy diet. Fat-free yogurt or pro-biotic yogurt contains both high-quality carbohydrates and protein, making it one of the best foods for controlling blood sugar levels in our body. There is slight difference between curd and yogurt. Indian curd is made by boiling and cooling the milk to 30-40°C and adding a spoonful of curd.Yogurt is prepared using similar techniques to curd but the fermentation of the milk is done by adding two specific strains of bacteria called lactobacillus bulgaris and streptococcus thermophilus.Yogurt is a good source of calcium, phosphorus, riboflavin-vitamin B2, iodine, vitamin B12, pantothenic acid-vitamin B5, zinc, potassium, protein and molybdenum. Yogurt is also high in probiotics that can help a person live longer. The bacteria can also help boost the immune system. I may be modern in my eating habits but I consider curd rice is one of the best and comforting food for my tummy especially during hot summer days. Col Pradeep Pendyala, Anaesthesiologist

No comments:

Post a Comment