Monday 4 February 2019

How to make MBBS more interesting...

Flashback...I was sitting in the Physiology class of Dr Venkat Reddy and he was taking a class on Deglutition ( Swallowing ) in 1975 at Andhra Medical College. His words...deglutition, is divided into three phases: The buccal phase occurs voluntarily in the mouth when the tongue forces the bolus of food toward the pharynx. This was the second lecture of the day after a class of Biochemistry on Metabolism which I could not understand despite my sincere effort...same happened in the dissection class of Anatomy where we learn anatomical structure of a deceased body through dissection with the help of Cunningham manual of practical anatomy. I was a bit confused with the whole education system which was not very interesting despite my sincere attempts...I was visualizing Physiology lecturer's muscles of deglutition more than paying attention to his class. Fortunately, rigmarole of such classes abruptly ended when I reached third year of MBBS and started attending Surgery, Medicine, Gynaecology and obstetrics classes...they were lively, very interesting and most practical. I could easily understand my anatomy, physiology and Biochemistry classes in an operation theatre or a medical ward where I saw the actual patients and their problems. Col Pradeep Pendyala, Anaesthesiologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment