Wednesday 16 March 2022

Ayyo Paapam

 I've done my MBBS from Andhra Medical College ( 1975-80 Batch ). After MBBS. Joined Indian Army Medical Corps in 1982. During my first annual leave, I visited my alma mater... Andhra Medical College. Met many of my friends and my classmates and a few professors. Moreover, now,  I was a Captain ... not just a Doctor. Met our professor of Medicine, Dr Mastan Rao. He asked me about my career and when I told him that I have joined Army ... His first reaction... " Ayyo Paapam". Which means, ohhh, I'm sorry for you ! Those days, anyone joining army meant only one thing... that he's been a failure everywhere. I had one more issue after joining Army.... All the girls which were offered to me when I was pursuing MBBS were no more available, because, in Andhra Pradesh nobody wants their daughters to be married to an Army Guy. I lived as a forced bachelor for three years with no suitable matches ( rather none ). Well, my first pelli choopulu ( seeing a bride for matrimonial alliance) was held in 1985. The girl was from Nagpur although originally from Vizag ... They had no issues with me being an Army officer. I saw the girl and immediately approved her. When we reached home, my parents told me that I can still see some more suitable girls if I wish. I told them, if I had said once yes, it means only YES. And I got married🙂🙂

PS. I'm the same person even after 37 years of married life but Andhra Pradesh has definitely changed a lot... Now, they're giving their daughters to Army guys for marriage🙂🙏🏼Col Pradeep Pendyala

No comments:

Post a Comment